Thursday, March 17, 2016

Favorite Literature

   “And the Raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting
On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
    And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon’s that is dreaming,
    And the lamp-light o’er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
            Shall be lifted—nevermore!”

 This last stanza from Edgar Allan Poe’s The Raven is one of my favorite pieces of literature. I really like it because it shows that no matter what the narrator tries the raven will not go away. I also like the way it uses figurative language and the repetition of “Nevermore”.  My seventh grade English class at Cherokee had to read this piece. I don’t just like this piece though, I like Edgar Alan Poe’s work in general. I think that the way he uses figurative language to paint a picture into the readers head is incredible but I also absolutely like the overall theme of his work. I like how dark and eerie his poetry is.  The reason that this piece has stuck into my head over all this time is because my class had to memorize the first and last stanza of this piece and repeat it back to my teacher. The overall theme of this piece alone though has made it stick into my head. I like how the author puts so much emotion into his work and you can feel the dread and emptiness the narrator has. 

1 comment:

  1. Great choice, Josh! Poe is a genius at rhythm and meter and rhyme. In some ways his technique reminds me of Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner. It too is a narrative poem with perfect meter rhythm and rhyme. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete