Friday, February 26, 2016

Significant Objects

Inline imageI have plenty of objects that hold a lot of value to me, but none rank higher on my list than all of my guitars. I have currently got four guitars, but if I had never given any up I would have seven. I have been playing guitar for about seven years. My very first guitar I got for my birthday. It was a cheap $40.00 First Act acoustic from Walmart. With that guitar I started trying to learn as much as possible. The first riff I had learned was from a family friend, he taught me Bulls on Parade by Rage Against the Machine. After many months of playing and begging my parents, they had decided to get me an electric. It was yet again another cheap first act, this time from Toys R Us. The guitar came with a strap, extra strings, an amp, and an input jack. When I took the guitar out we realized it had a problem. The guitar input had went into the body. I had to wait for my dad to get home before we could fix it. It was worth the wait.
After a few weeks on my electric my dad’s friend gave me a digital effect petal. It made a much better sound than just the amp. Around this time I had started trying to learn more complicated music. I remember thinking I was incredible when I learned the main riff to Battery by Metallica. After a few more months of playing my electric my dad surprised me with the best gift I had received. It was a $250.00 acoustic Greg Bennett custom guitar. This was my last guitar for quite a while. Since this guitar came from my dad, it is the one I care most about and is by far my favorite. After a couple years my siblings and I were moved to my grandparents. I had lost my first acoustic and first electric in the move. After begging for two years they finally got me a new electric for Christmas. It was yet again a cheap guitar, but it was a Fender Starcaster. A knock off of a Stratocaster.
During the summer I was friends with a girl who had a Michael Kelly Patriot Decree guitar that she didn’t use. She asked her dad and he had allowed her to give it to me. Around this time I had a new amp so it was a much better sound than my Starcaster. I decided to give my Starcaster to my cousin. They were eager to learn. I played around a bunch on my Patriot for about a year until I had saved enough money to buy a new guitar. This one was a $300.00 Jackson Dinky guitar with a Floyd Rose. This guitar was ideal for the music I was into at the time (Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot ect.). After all these guitars and all the years of playing I have still never had an acoustic electric. So last December for Christmas I had asked for a used Ibanez acoustic electric guitar. My grandparents got it for me. The four guitars I have left include: The Greg Bennett acoustic my dad got me, my Patriot that had came from a friend, my Jackson, and my Ibanez acoustic electric. I These objects are significant to me because music is what has always helped me through hard times, so I love having the ability to be able to produce music myself. 

2 comments:

  1. First of all, thank you for posting this. You have a "significant" history with the guitar. I'm so glad you played for us and hope you will again. You have natural talent coupled with drive. Music is indeed what makes life beautiful, and who knows, maybe it will provide your income in the future. You are really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, thank you for posting this. You have a "significant" history with the guitar. I'm so glad you played for us and hope you will again. You have natural talent coupled with drive. Music is indeed what makes life beautiful, and who knows, maybe it will provide your income in the future. You are really good!

    ReplyDelete